Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Eat, Pray, Golf
JOBURG
I had a good weekend this past weekend. It was sunny and warm - probably close to 30 C. And I got Mike's van to use so I had some wheels! Although by nightfall Sunay night, I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck. I think it's the stress of driving on the other side of the road, not used to looking for cars on the opposite side NOR all the black S.A. that stroll alongside the highway and at the last minute, decide to cross. Reminds me of China...
Avril and I got invited to Rudi's house for a braai (BBQ) and made our way over on Saturday afternoon. In the morning I slept and did laundry. It was so hot that the clothes dryed very quickly. Avril is funny. She calls me "Doll" and says "How's it going, Doll?" "Are you winning?" (I had to learn this one - it means "Are you doing well?" I like it!).
We even got to go try and rescue Rudi's cousin out of prison as there was a university parade and somehow he got himself much too noticed by the police. Long story short....the pic attached is of me being friendly with the local police officer. Not hard when you're 5'10" and blonde, but regardless, I wasn't willing to push my luck with the authorities.
Sunday saw me trying to recover from our Saturday braai. I got myself used to a new shopping area with Avril's help near to where I'm staying and then, after much internal debate, decided to take the wheel and venture off in the van for the first time on my own. It is unnerving, though. For all the reasons I mentioned above PLUS, you must make sure your doors are locked at all times. You have to keep your purse under your seat and NEVER on the seat beside you or in back. PLUS, I'm always approaching the driver's side from the wrong damn door. How many times so far have I gotten into the passenger door (to not look like an idiot from a bystander) and slide my way across the van into the driver's side which is on the right side of the car and not the left? Exhausting.......
So on my Sunday excursion, I went to the video store and rented La Vie en Rose (Lisa F: this has made me miss you greatly!!...). I went to check out the 5-star gym called Virgin Active. OMG...it's so beautiful I asked them if I could live there for the rest of my trip. (They said No). Of course, it isn't at a YMCA price either. It'll cost me about $100+/month. Ouch, but worth it. And the pool....oh the pool...it's divine. It looks like blue liquid gold. Can't wait to get in there, either. Hopefully this weekend!
EAT: I have been overstuffed with food. This B&B cooks me a large breakfast every morning and last week I mostly ordered an evening meal from them. Comfort = Food. You get the picture, right? I am getting friggin' fat, man. Can NOT wait to get to that luxury gym. Plus, I am on a mission to locate the best South African Starbucks-equivalent Chai Latte. So far, I have hit Mugg & Bean, and Cafe Fin. M&B wins that dual battle, but the war is far from over. My stomach will be the loser, but my soul will win everytime I taste that sweet latte goodness!
PRAY: Now that I'm here, I'm asking God what the point is. I know that He knows, and mostly, that's good enough for me. But still, I can't help but ask Him. I've been mostly alone and frankly, the time change is a real drag and prevents a lot of communication with my friends and family. This has been very tough for me. I have also had nightmares almost every night - this is unusual for me. So I pray...
GOLF: I think this is going to be my saving grace. Unpacking my clubs on Sunday to go to the driving range was like hugging a long lost friend at the airport. It was emotional. I can't wait to play on Friday and I will make Golf a regular part of my Eat, Pray, (and Sleep) routine. It's just that little bit of North American goodness that brings me comfort and happiness!
I'm off on a 2-day road trip to the north eastern part of the country. Hoping to see a lot in the next 2 days so VERY glad to be getting out!
Hugs, Lisa
P.S. will hope to work at the Central Energy Fund South Africa offices starting next week for at least 1 day / week. Will expose me to a lot of renewable energy initiatives along with CFL and LED lighting. Fingers crossed that Derek's offer to give me an office over there still stands. Their offices are first class Beautiful!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Girl,
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for your blog- I keep missing you on Skype. I'm excited to read how you are spending your time. I can only imagine you in that big old van careening down the road - lol. I LOVE it! I'm glad you're settling in and have a way to get around. Keep the posts coming. I'm reading every last word.
Lots of love,
H